Monday, February 11, 2008

Dr. Monteith is Joining Dr. Berger as a Tubal Reversal Surgeon

Dr. Monteith is joining Dr. Berger as a tubal reversal surgeon at Chapel Hill Tubal Reversal Center. Dr. Charles Monteith graduated Summa Cum Laude from Xavier University and received his Medical Degree from the University of California at San Francisco. Following a Howard Hughes Research Fellowship in molecular biology, he completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 2001. Since then he has been a Clinical Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of North Carolina Medical School. Dr. Monteith is board certified in obstetrics and gynecology and has extensive experience in laparoscopic surgery and high risk obstetrics.

Explaining his decision to join Dr. Berger in practice, Dr. Monteith says, “My interest in tubal ligation reversal comes from my love of outpatient surgery and the desire to learn skills which are becoming a dying art. My hope is to be able to continue to practice tubal reversal surgery and to keep it as an option for patients who have had prior tubal ligation and desire to become pregnant.”

Like all of Dr. Berger's staff Dr. Monteith can be contacted via the tubal reversal message board. Here you can read Dr. Monteith's most recent posts

As this thread from the Tubal Reversal Message Board shows Dr. Monteith as well as being an excellent surgeon also has quite a sense of humor:

Posted by Dr. Monteith (Member # 11996) on February 04, 2008 09:00 AM:

I answered your questions under the threads of scheduling and posting with Dr. Montieth

Posted by sweeet_mommie (Member # 11471) on February 04, 2008 06:50 PM:

Dr.Monteith thank you so much for responding to my questions and your responces were very helpful. We are very happy to know that there is hope for us. We never thought that we would want another child considering we have 5, 4boys 11,10,8 and 6 and 1girl 6. We were very scared when they told us twins and that is why we had my tubes tied, well that was a mistakeand at the time my Doctor didnt think it was a good idea but went along with it considering I was only 23 years old in 2001. Tell me something how likely (is it if there are twins on both sides of the family), are we likely to have twins again? Thank you for you help and another thing the most thing I am afaid of is getting surgery, in 2006 when I lost my right tube I was so scared of be put to sleep. any suggestions?
thanks again
luquesua

I am considering getting my TR maybe late spring.

Posted by Dr. Monteith (Member # 11996) on February 04, 2008 09:08 PM:

Twins do run higher in some races of people. Certain tribes from Africa have very high twin rates- can be as high as 1 in 50 pregnancies. In general, the chances of having a twin pregnancy is about 1 out of 200 pregnancies.

If you and your husband are Nigerian then I would be worried you would have a higher chance of a twin pregnancy- for the most part I have not been impressed that twin rates have been higher when patients come to me in the USA and say twins run in both families. I would say your risk of twin pregnancy would be about 1 out fo 200. If you have to take clomid about 10 out of 200 and if you have IVF about 1 out of 3!

General anesthesia is very safe when it is done in a low risk patient in a controlled situation. The only problems I have seen is in emergency surgery when everyone is rushing and the patient is high risk- say 300lbs, poor airway, heart disease, trauma, etc.


Posted by sweeet_mommie (Member # 11471) on February 05, 2008 05:46 PM:

Dr.Monteith another question I have is the TR is it done vaginal? How long after surgery can we try to conceive?


Posted by Dr. Monteith (Member # 11996) on February 05, 2008 11:04 PM:

The reversal is done through a small incision- about 4 inches- just above your pubic hair line. We ask that you wait until you leave the office before you try to conceive! (the real answer is when you feel up to it- about 2-4 weeks).

Posted by mommyof4wantingmore (Member # 11914) on February 06, 2008 04:06 AM:

What a great sense of humor Dr. Monteith! I read almost all of the posts on here, but that has to be the best reply of the day!! LOL Sorry if I butted in on the thread but that was GREAT!!
-Donielle

DH-34
Me-32
DS-14
DD-6
DS-5 (soon)
DS-2
TL-7/05
TR-Goal is Summer 2008!

Posted by sweeet_mommie (Member # 11471) on February 06, 2008 07:10 AM:

thanks Dr. that information was very helpful, we will be scheduling my appointment for April wil you be there assisting Dr. Berger?

Posted by in-Gods-hands (Member # 11795) on February 06, 2008 08:17 AM:

I am with Donielle that was the best one yet. I liked that. Miranda


More Information on Dr. Monteith

No comments: